Classes will begin as early as 7:30 a.m., however, for classes that only meet on Monday and Wednesday.

Just as some students are finally becoming acquainted with their class schedules, the system is changing for the 2013-14 academic year.

While the norm has been 65-minute blocks for Monday/Wednesday/Friday classes and 75-minutes for Tuesday/Thursday classes, the amount of minutes per credit hour is increasing next year.

“In the spring of 2012, the faculty approved a change from the current standard of 650 minutes per credit hour to 750 minutes per credit hour,” said Registrar Margaret Ballard.

The academic calendar for 2013-14 was approved in January of this year. A document sent by Provost Dr. Timothy Wooster to the faculty reads:

“This change was made to meet federal guidelines and industry standards. New federal guidelines indicate that, ‘A semester hour must include at least 37.5 clock hours of instruction.’ A semester hour is equivalent to a 3 credit course, therefore 37.5 hours is equivalent to 750 clock-minutes per credit hour.”

While classes on Tuesday/Thursday currently start at 8 a.m.—later than the typical 7:45 a.m. start time for Monday/Wednesday/Friday classes—, 7:45 a.m. will be the new start time as of next year.

Classes will begin as early as 7:30 a.m., however, for those that only meet on Monday and Wednesday.

Some classes will even end at uneven times. For example, the first Tuesday/Thursday classes will go from 7:45 a.m. to 9:06 a.m., and the next time slot is 9:20 a.m. to 10:41 a.m.

“The change from the 75-minute period to an 81-minute period on Tuesday/Thursday was made to meet or exceed the clock hour requirement,” said Ballard.

Many students expressed discontent with the new class schedule.

“I don’t think that I will adjust well at all to that seeing as I still have trouble getting out of bed for my 7:45 classes and I’ve had 7:45 classes since my first semester freshman year. I don’t see that being beneficial at all,” said sophomore Kelsey Shoulla.

Junior Sarah Andrus echoed Shoulla’s concerns.

“To be honest, it’s a struggle to make it out of bed for my 7:45 classes. Though, I do understand that once we are in the “real world” we will be getting up at that time for work. As for lengthening the classes, I do not think that it is necessary. It will discourage many kids from paying attention.

While some people don’t like the changes, sophomore Timmy Greene recognizes that the new schedule may be necessary.

“I don’t mind them lengthening the classes, but I don’t like how early they are. We’re college students, we already oversleep more than we should. But, if it’s necessary for accreditation, there isn’t much we can do to fight it,” said Greene.

The new schedule is set to begin this coming fall. The fall and spring 2013-14 schedules are available on MyENC now, under “General Classes.”