AustinSteelman

File photo
Austin Steelman (’13), the new tennis assistant coach, was on the men’s tennis team as recently as this spring.

2013 ENC graduate Austin Steelman was recently named the assistant coach for the men’s and women’s tennis teams.

After playing for the men’s team as recently as this spring, Steelman returns to ENC’s courts to assist in coaching the two teams for the 2013-14 school year.

Steelman played for ENC’s men’s tennis team each of his four years in school. During that time, he was recognized by the Commonwealth Coast Conference many times for his talents on the court. As a junior, he was named 2012 CCC Co-Player of the Year; as a senior, he was declared the CCC Senior Scholar Athlete of the Year for 2013.

Steelman was also captain of the team during his junior and senior years.

His responsibilities as assistant coach include giving instructions during practices, helping players focus, and supporting them in playing smart matches.

He also is responsible for helping Coach Popa, the tennis teams’ head coach, juggle coaching the two teams. On Saturday, Sep. 7, Steelman took the men’s tennis team to the Stonehill Doubles Invitational while Coach Popa took the women’s team to compete at Curry.

Steelman believes his previous time playing on the tennis team will be helpful in his coaching.

“Tennis is a very strategic game, and everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. Knowing the players already helps because I know what strengths to remind them to use in a match and what weaknesses to work on in practice,” Steelman said.

Steelman also begins classes at Harvard Law this semester.

“It’s going to be tough making a lot of practices, especially in the fall, but I am going to get to as many practices and matches as I can.”.

Being on ENC’s courts as a coach this time around is a new experience that he is still getting used to.

“I show up to a match and I feel like I should be warming up. It’s weird … but I’m really excited to be coaching,” Steelman said. “Both teams have some good young talent, and I want to do whatever I can to keep ENC’s tennis program on the rise.”