Senior Melissa Flores:

• Major: Early childhood education
  • Age: 23 years old
  • Hometown: Greenwich, Conn.
  • Chapel team leader for 2013-2014

Why did you decide to get involved in music at ENC?

Music has been a big part of my life ever since I could remember. I wanted to meet people that had the same interests as me. But it’s funny because I didn’t want to tell anybody that I knew about music at all. One of my first friends here knew that I liked to sing, so she got me involved in Gospel Choir. Once I realized that I didn’t really want to run away from music, I surrounded myself with people that had the same interests as me.

Are there any church and worship teams that you are involved in outside of ENC?

I don’t have my own band, but I am involved with worship teams at my church. I do also have a friend that’s a record producer. He has me doing some background vocals and I have been on albums.

What are some tips for people who are considering getting involved in the music scene?

I would say to just go for it! If it’s something that they feel is out of their comfort zone, which in most cases it may be, it also might scare them and overwhelm them. But as cliché as it sounds, you will never know until you try. I just say you should go for it and explore your hidden talents. It could be [your] calling.

When did you first realize that you had a calling for that field?

I realized it when I was fairly young. I have been in singing groups since I was around nine years old and I just felt that this is where I was being led. Right now, I am an Early Childhood [Education] Major and I am studying to be a teacher, but music never really ever leaves me and it’s always there. That’s how you know:  when it just always appears, and it always feels right.

What’s your favorite genre of music? 

I do not have one. I literally can listen to anything. You know how some people say they can listen to only one [genre]? Well, I love music… period.

Are you trained professionally? 

I never paid for voice lessons, but like I said earlier, my friend is a producer and he does professional work. He has given me tips on how to improve myself through a larger vocal range, and throughout high school I was offered classical training and other stuff like that which helped me.

Has it helped you academically, socially, etc.?

I have bad memory, so I have to find ways to remember things and sometimes I will make facts into little songs. It’s just for cramming though! (giggles) … It has helped me academically. And it has definitely helped me socially to grow and flourish through my friends.