A fire alarm went off at 10:13 p.m. in Young Hall last night after a student burned the food they were cooking in the 4th Young lounge.

“Luckily, there was not a fire in the dorms, and the alarm went off due to a student accidentally burning the food they were cooking on the stove in the 4th Young lounge,” Office of Security and Safety supervisor Carolyn Colbert said.

Students quickly evacuated the building and were directed to the Ruth A. Cameron Auditorium for about 15 minutes while the Quincy Fire Department accessed the problem, according to Colbert.

“We have a voice dialer in Young (a system that calls the emergency line when the alarms sound), so the officers were able to report to the scene very quickly,” Colbert said. “Everyone was very cooperative, and they evacuated quickly making the firefighters’ job easier.”