Photo contributed by Sarah Good“I would like to see the things that we do as a Music Department become more a part of the life of the campus so that our community is exposed to high quality music on every level and in lots of different forms," Smith said.

Photo contributed by Sarah Good
“I would like to see the things that we do as a Music Department become more a part of the life of the campus so that our community is exposed to high quality music on every level and in lots of different forms,” Smith said.

Dr. Kevin Smith, an alumnus of ENC, was appointed as the chair of the Music Department during the summer after the retirement of Professor Emeritus, Dr. Brady Millican.

Smith has earned three music degrees from across the nation, including a Doctor of Musical Arts in Conducting from Louisiana State University.

As the new department head, Smith has expressed interest in making the Music Department a bigger part of the ENC community.

“I hope to see growth in numbers [of] both majors and of those on campus that are not majors but participate in our programs,” said Smith. “I would like to see the things that we do as a Music Department become more a part of the life of the campus so that our community is exposed to high quality music on every level and in lots of different forms.”

Although Smith has traveled to study and teach at a variety places around the nation, he said ENC “is truly where I felt God was leading me at this point in my career.”

Smith was previously the department chair of the Music Department at Crown College in Minnesota. He has also been the director of musical programs at various colleges, including Director of Choral Activities at Sterling College in Kansas.

He has taught more than 12 different college classes, been published in many music journals, and received an opportunity to conduct a choir at Carnegie Hall.

Smith is looking to give back to the ENC community this year.

“I know the impact that ENC made on my life, and to be able to come back and be a part of that process for others is a great honor,” concluded Smith.