At ENC, women can ask men out on Valentine’s Day.

St. Valentine’s Day was created for the sake of friendship. However, it has since become an overly commercialized holiday where couples from all over the world make their loved ones feel special. And singles? Well, let’s just say it’s more of a “Singles Awareness Day.”

On this overly priced holiday, the average person spends more than $100.

Traditionally, men are taught that they should approach women they are interested in and respectfully ask them a special question: “Will you be my Valentine?” A date normally comes next.

Women, however, have been taught quite differently.

“I was taught traditionally not [to] pursue a guy. I was raised in a home where you should be like [a] princess waiting for your Prince Charming,” freshman Rebekah Stahl said.

This is where the non-traditional gender roles come into play, as plenty of ENC women are willing to ask someone out for Valentine’s Day.

“Yeah, I would [ask out a guy] and it would be in person,” sophomore Tina Bryant said.

SGA Director of Student Ministries Danielle Wilson agreed.

“Yeah, I would. I guess if I liked him, I would not expect him to do all of the work. Fun fact: I asked my homecoming date out,” Wilson said.

The truth, though, is that some men find it weird and awkward when women do the asking.

“I would personally be a little taken aback because of my experiences,” SGA Director of Rec. Life Joel Shaffer said. “The last time I got asked out by a girl, she ended up being psychotic. But, I would still appreciate the gesture.”

Senior Josh Henry and sophomore Canaan Hess agreed with Shaffer.

“I would say no [if a girl asked me] because I would want to be the one to ask her. If anything, I would ask her at that moment of my rejection for a date with her,” Henry said.

“I would feel kind of weird about it. I would appreciate the thought,” Hess said. “It is nice, but [the guy] should be the one to plan the date. Girls have enough to worry about. Girls love the mystery.”

Other ENC men find it perfectly acceptable.

“I would not have a problem with it. It would be quite delightful,” freshman Elijah Steele said.

Senior Brent Neely agreed.

“I think it would be cool. I’m a guy, and I’m usually oblivious,” Neely said.

SGA Vice President Weston Jordan has experience in this area.

“It would be funny [if a girl asked me out] because it happened to me last semester,” Jordan said. “If the girl is going to [ask], she has to do it right. There are expectations when guys do it, so it should be the same for a girl.”

Juniors Crystal Erb and Michael Maynard are a good example of how gender roles don’t appear to matter so much in established relationships.

“For a holiday I think . . . the girl needs to step up and split the cost,” Erb said. “The guy should not have to pay for everything. A girl needs to treat her guy as much as a guy treats his girl.”

Maynard agreed that this would be “different and good. It would be nice, too.”

Since some men are uncomfortable with being asked out, women should be prepared for possible rejection. However, other men are perfectly fine with women initiating because it takes some of the pressure off of them.

Women should not be afraid to do any non-traditional act of kindness, even if it is only for Valentine’s Day.