Since starting out the season 5-2, the ENC women’s basketball team has failed to win more than two games in a row.  This inconsistency could cost the team their dream of a Commonwealth Coast Conference championship.

The Lions have a lot of upside when they play at their full potential. With a combination of eight freshmen, three seniors, and two juniors, the women’s team possesses a great mixture of size, speed, heart, and experience.

As seniors Mel Green (Annapolis, Md.), Ace Carradine (Honolulu, Hawaii.), and Shardae Brown (Waterbury, Conn.) look to make the most out of their final season, they surely have a CCC championship in mind.

“[A conference championship] would mean the world to me. All the hard work, all the time I’ve put in by myself and with my teammates since my freshman year would be worth it. For once, it would feel like we’re really playing up to our capabilities and everything would just finally fall into place. I can’t imagine a better feeling,” said Carradine.

What would it take to win a CCC championship this season?

When asked what she thinks it would take, Brown very simply said, “Heart and determination, that’s it.”

Brown certainly has both, averaging a team-high 10.1 points and 9.6 rebounds per game. Brown also scored her 1,000th career point in a 44-43 loss to Gordon College on Feb. 2.

After a 56-43 Jan. 29 victory over Nichols College, the Lions have dropped three in a row, including two road losses.

The women traveled to Salve Regina Jan. 31 in a 62-53 loss. Green scored 12 points and secured 9 rebounds in the game.

Three days later the Lions traveled to Gordon. The 44-43 loss gave Gordon their first win of the 2012-13 season.

On Feb. 6, the University of New England traveled to ENC. Despite 11 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 steals from Carradine, the Nor’easters improved to 15-0 in the CCC.

The women’s basketball team takes on Curry College at 5 p.m. tonight in the Lahue PE Center.