After Dr. Malas announces to his Bible in Current Perspective class he is about to pray, there is noise in the back of the room. Dr. Malas begins praying, and there is a drop of papers, muttered curse, clap of approval, whistle, some loud whispers, and then a roaring of laughter. Dr. Malas’ voice becomes louder as he prays for the very students who interrupted the prayer.

This disrespect is a common theme for General Education courses. I have been lucky enough to take some of these classes, including Literature and Culture, West in the World, Christian Tradition, and Arts and Music. In each of these classes, there has been a different group of students who sit together—usually toward the back of the room—and complain about the material or professor for the duration of the class.

We are privileged human beings. We are attending a private college, have an incredible opportunity to learn, and have professors and mentors who truly care about our success.

Why is it that when a professor decides to pray over his students, some curse and laugh? I consider that time of prayer to be a gift; knowing my professors care enough to pray for their students is a blessing.

If a student does not appreciate the General Education courses, the professors, or possible prayers during class, students should still have respect for those who do.

It would be a lie for me to say I’ve never been disrespectful in a General Education course. There have been times I’ve whispered to friends sitting near me, laughed at a joke another student said, or wished I was the student who had just escaped from class early, unseen by the professor, through the back door. However, as I spend more time at ENC, I learn more and more how important these classes are.

I have gained respect for my professors, fellow students, and the subjects I have learned in these General Education courses. In the process of gaining this respect, I have also matured and grown in my major’s courses as well.

The General Education curriculum is an important blessing to students at ENC. I have learned from these courses, after learning to respect them, and it is my prayer that other students will be able to do the same.