Growing up, I never wanted to be a journalist. In fact, my first obsession was watching garbage trucks collect our trash each week from our front window. As high school progressed, I shifted gears and thought about being a psychologist, or a business major.

But then I fell in love with journalism.

Despite my brother’s and high school journalism teacher’s best efforts to deter me from going to college for journalism, I had made up my mind.

But I knew being a journalism major at ENC would not always be easy.

Some of the first remarks I heard about the student newspaper were that it was unprofessional and mistakes were constantly made. The newspaper staff told me that very few students actually read the newspaper because of the reputation it had on campus.

But, even as a freshman, I knew I was up for the challenge.

So I got involved in the paper my freshman year, writing several stories and even acting as a copy editor at times. The next year I applied and was selected as a copy editor. We were well on our way to increasing the readership of the Veritas News and improving our reputation.

But, for me, there was one last step in the process of trying to improve the student newspaper, so I applied for editor in chief.

I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve you, the student body, for the last two years as the editor of this newspaper.

My hope is that each and every student believes the student newspaper improved since the year he or she arrived at ENC. My hope is that each of you sees the Veritas as a respected news source. My hope is that you have come to this publication searching for answers or to use it as a safe haven for your thoughts and opinions.

The last two years have not always been easy. Writers have missed deadlines and the newspaper staff has struggled to decide what it really means to be a journalist and a Christian, and what we should and shouldn’t cover. Some semesters were better than others, and I’m certain we have failed you at some point.

But I hope at least one story has made you ask questions. I hope at least one story has made you smile. I hope at least one story has made you angry, because what’s journalism without an angry readership? I hope at least one story will stay with you forever.

The newspaper staff has challenged administrators, faculty, staff, and students the last couple of years with tough questions and on hard-hitting topics.

As I hit the publish button on my final issue of this newspaper, I challenge you to do the same.

Ask questions, about everything, and remember that if something isn’t being discussed, there’s likely a story to be told.