David Coleman has been named the new Gospel Choir director for the 2015-2016 school year.

Coleman emerged as the best candidate to replace former Gospel Choir Director Priscilla Ozodo. With over 25 years of artistic experience under his belt, Coleman is a proven expert.

He has served as Director for Boston University’s Inner Strength Gospel Choir and Tufts University’s Third Day Gospel Choir, while simultaneously participating in dozens of intercollegiate gospel concerts.

Coleman assured that he is more than ready to lead ENC’s Gospel Choir through his unique approach to worship.

“There are many people who can direct choirs. There are many people who can lead worship and everyone has the capacity to worship. However, no one can worship for me. No one can lead worship in the same manner according to my gifting, and no one directs choirs like me, because I’m me,” Coleman said.

Coleman had a prior link to the ENC community: he worked with Tara Brooke Watkins, part-time Language, Theater, and Communication Arts department professor while he was the musical director of Cats at South Shore School of Theater this past summer.

Coleman looks forward to this new opportunity ENC has provided.

“I am excited that the school has a Christian mission and philosophy. While [working at a Nazarene institution] is a new experience for me, I love a new experience,” he said.

“I hope to help create meaningful and memorable worship experiences for the choir, the congregations we sing for, and myself,” he added.

There is no deadline for joining Gospel Choir this year, and the team meets every Wednesday night from 8:30-10 pm.

CORRECTION: This article originally reported that David Coleman is replacing former Gospel Choir Director Michael Payne. In fact, Priscilla Ozodo was the most recent previous Gospel Choir Director, not Michael Payne. We deeply regret this omission and want to apologize to Priscilla Ozodo and recognize her for her year of service in this capacity.