If you’ve checked social media in the brief time since Donald J. Trump has been elected president, you’ve most likely noticed the trending encouragements for rapper Kanye West to run for president during the 2020 election season. Hashtags such as #TrumpVsWest and #Kanye2020 have been blowing up Twitter as fans have been pressuring Mr. West to announce an official campaign run.

During Kanye West’s speech in the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards, he said he would “definitely” run for president in the 2020 election. “I hate politics. I’m not a politician at all. I care about the truth and I just care about human beings. I just want everyone to win, that’s all I can say, and I think we can,” West said.

Not only are fans campaigning for Kanye to run, but the media has also entertained the possibility. Political figures such as Barack Obama and George W. Bush have been asked about the likelihood of Mr. West in office.

In interviews, Kanye has voiced his concerns with the nation, and he has elaborated on how he could make a difference in the world. “When I talk about the idea of being president, I’m not saying I have any political views. I don’t have views on politics, I just have a view on humanity, on people, on the truth. If there is anything that I can do with my time and my day, to somehow make a difference while I’m alive, I’m going to try to do it.”

President-elect Donald J. Trump has minimal political experience, which gives hope to Kanye supporters, acknowledging that he may be just as qualified for the job. NME Magazine released a shocking study earlier this week stating that West would statistically have a better chance at becoming the President in the next election than Trump did in this current election. In a recent poll we conducted throughout the streets of Boston, we heard a large majority of locals saying that they’d be willing to elect Kanye West over Donald Trump in 2020. It is yet to be determined whether Kanye will officially begin a campaign for Presidency.