Here are the questions and answers from the SGA Election Forum held on February 21. Audience questions are not included. Questions were prepared by Darvence Chery.

Quinn Smith, Director of Recreational Life candidate

Question 1: Currently, we have flag football, soccer, ultimate frisbee, basketball, dodgeball, volleyball, and Esports as recreational sports. Is there anything you would like to see added?

This reminds me of elementary school and high school where they introduced to us a game called European handball. It’s one of the most fun games I ever played growing up. It’s like, you hit a ball and you throw it around, and you just throw it into a goal; it’s kind of like lacrosse but without your hands and without the sticks. So I would really like to implement that and add that in because it could be both co-ed, well it can be co-ed, not both, it would just be really fun; it helps target those who might not be that athletic because you just have to throw the ball around and have some fun, so that would be really cool.

Question 2: What would you say to someone to encourage them to participate in recreational life based on your own experience with ENC’s intramural sports?

I would start off with saying that intramurals is a very safe space. The people that come out to play intramurals, it’s just people that are trying to have a good time. Yes, there’s a level of competition with it, but I would just encourage them; if you like playing a sport, if you like playing basketball or volleyball, come share that love of the sport that you have with the rest of the people who want to play that sport.

Anthony Castrogiovanni, Director of Recreational Life candidate

Question: Currently, we have flag football, soccer, ultimate frisbee, basketball, dodgeball, volleyball, and Esports as recreational sports. Is there anything you would like to see added?

Yeah, I would definitely like to add powder puff football. There are a lot of athletic girls out there. There are a lot of girls who don’t participate in sports here at ENC. I definitely want to find a way to get them more active. In high school we had a huge crowd of girls that wanted to play, so I definitely want to try to add that here.

Question: Hypothetically, flag football is the most popular recreational sport? What would be your response if during a flag football game there were multiple injuries that took place week after week? Would you discontinue the sport despite its popularity on campus and why?

First of all, I have to evaluate how these injuries happen. Whether it be the field or the turf. This past year we played in the outfield. But I definitely have to evaluate it. Just like any sport, you know there is a risk of injuries. I play baseball. If I tore my ACL, you know I’m not gonna’ stop playing baseball because of that. I think it would just have to be an evaluation of why the injury happened. Was it because of the field condition? Was it because somebody was being too rough? But I have to maybe talk to Keri [Lewis] about it. Maybe it’s because of the equipment, you know maybe the flags are too tight around your hip or something like that. So, there are a lot of variables that go into it, but I would try to make the most logical decision.

Elisabeth Schaffer, Director of Recreational Life candidate

I would like to see wiffle ball added. I know I’m biased because I’m a softball player, but I think out of all the intramurals that we have, a lot of our varsity sports are represented; soccer, basketball, volleyball. So, I think for like baseball and softball players, we don’t really have anything that works around our skills. And I think wiffle ball would be great because we don’t really need a lot of resources for it; you just need bases, a ball, and a bat. And you don’t really have to be good at softball or baseball. You just kinda’ go out there and go for it and no one is really gonna’ make fun of you. I’m not very good at wiffle ball, either. We can just use the gym for that and I think bring together people and just have fun.

Question 2: Is there anything you can take from your time being on the softball team that you could apply to being Director of Rec. Life?

Definitely, I have been a part of the softball team for three years now; I’ve become more of a leader on the team. As a freshman, I took all the criticism and worked with it. But now, I like to lead by example. I think the leadership role I’ve had on the softball team would allow me to be a great Director of Recreational Life. Also, just being so busy with stuff. We have crazy practice hours, plus my biology major, plus I work on the iDesk. So, I have to balance my plate. So, I think time management will definitely be a key role for me being a good Director of Recreational Life.